Don't Hate Me Because I Love Halloween

One thing I can say for growing up in rural Claiborne Parish - they knew how to put on a Halloween. My hometown of Athens was probably the best place in the world to Trick or Treat because 1) Everybody knew everybody, 2) Certain older ladies were not only hoping I would come by but they were EXPECTING me to come, and 3) Those certain older ladies had homemade popcorn balls. Such a small community meant that we knew which houses to visit, and it was safe to do so. My home church didn't mind getting in the action and always had some sort of Halloween activity every year. My memories of home during Halloween are some of my favorite.

Another "must attend" event of the Halloween season was my school's Halloween Carnival. It was probably the largest event put on by the school every year. There were games, costume contests, hayrides, bingo, special Halloween performances by the cheerleaders and danceline, and sometimes a haunted house (really not scary at all when your friend's big brother was trying to scare you). In the world of elementary school kids, it was epic. The Halloween Carnival could make or break your coolness for the rest of the year, depending on what you wore and and how many glasses you won in the dime toss. (Those from my generation at CA will know what I'm talking about!)

All of theses memories of home for me include one special person - my best friend Diana. She and I spent most of those school Halloween Carnivals together trying to navigate the world of elementary school drama. Some years she would even come to Athens and go Trick or Treating with me, which made it even more fun. After we were grown up and both in college at different schools, we began the tradition of sending each other Halloween cards. We still do that to this day.

(For the life of me, I could not find a picture of us at Halloween, though I know they exist. But here we are in costume at a talent show in 1989.)

Now that I have my own kids, I love Halloween even more! Figuring out costumes for them has been so much fun. We have been fortunate not to ever have to spend a whole lot, which is nice. Super Gram also had saved some of Stewart's costumes that she made for him, which is awesome since I have two boys. 

Several years ago, our church began doing outreach in the neighborhoods of our church families instead of having some kind of fall festival. It was a brilliant idea! We set up tables in our front yard and do face painting and other fun stuff. We hand out glow necklaces, candy, tracts, and other information about our church. Since I'm the college ministry lady, it was only natural that we staff this with college students. So our house becomes a crazy, wild place on Halloween with kids, college kids, and adult kids running around our front yard. It is one of my favorite traditions! (The food is awesome, too!)


Is it right for Christians to celebrate Halloween? Celebrate it? No. Dress up in fun costumes and get tons of candy? Why not! Make memories? Absolutely. I'm against evil and darkness, but I am not against what was intended for evil being used for good. (Genesis 50:20) So this Halloween, let's make some more memories!

Comments