What's Behind the Hands

Sunday night I participated in our church's 3rd annual "Carols and Keys." I played "second piano" with our church pianist and Zach's piano teacher Tanya, and got to play a couple of numbers with our new organist Tyler, who is a college student, which means he is one of my "college babies." It is always an intimidating event for me. Though I have a music degree and have played all my life, I don't play all the time any more. When it's time for this event, I have to buckle down and return to my former habits in order to even measure up in this event. We have had other guest musicians over the years that teach music or play music day in and day out. I am literally the Tim Tebow of these things. I am a back-up at best. But in the Christmas season, I become who I used to be. I become a pianist again.

When I prepare for events like these, I cannot help but think of those who made it possible for me to even play a single note. My parents finally gave in and let me start piano in second grade. I had taken piano two short years when my teacher retired. My fourth grade year I didn't even take piano at all, and I missed it. But that happened to be the year my mom's brother got sick and passed away at the age of 31. My uncle had been told several months before his death to "get his affairs in order." His reply to the doctors was, "I don't care what happens to my stuff. I just want Rebecca in piano." The very next school year I was back in piano and I never left. Every time I play, that gift he left me is in the back of my mind because it literally changed the course of my life.

So when I saw this picture from Sunday night, it took me aback. I'm not into weird stuff, but the way the camera caught my hands playing made me thank God for my uncle and the gift of music that he gave to me.



And Sunday night I chose to wear my mom's bracelet while I played. It was given to her by her friend Mary Virginia, whose family continues to be family to me. This time of the year makes me miss those who were home and Christmas to me. Their investment in me lives on.


And my sweet, precious budding musician turned in a blue card Sunday morning at church. This was it:


His prayers mean more to me than anything (even if I wasn't singing)! Today Zachary turned seven years old.



The season is in full swing here, and I am most glad that it is! May we all be filled with memories but also thanksgiving for those who have made such a great impact on our lives.







Comments