One Crazy Day

My love/hate relationship with the TimeHop app has been well-documented on this blog. Today's memory was one that I have actually talked about several times in the public and shot a video about it (that was never seen in public). Here's the pic:



That's our sweet, curly-haired Zach when he was 16 months old. I remember this day vividly. It was a pretty much normal morning in the life of the Holloway family at that time. I had gotten Zach out of bed as usual. Stewart was getting ready to leave. I guess I hadn't really looked at Zach - probably hadn't had my coffee. All of a sudden, Stewart exclaims, "What is wrong with his eye?!"

I, of course, said, "Nothing." I still didn't look at him.

Then I looked at him. Zach looked like he had been in a prize fight. His eye was huge and red. Stewart immediately said, "Oh, he probably hit it on his bed. It's nothing." Famous last words right there.

We had a busy day ahead. Stewart had a funeral that day, and then that evening, we were shooting a television commercial for the church. As the day went on, I noticed Zach's eye getting bigger and bigger. I kept thinking that it was nothing. I mean, what could it be?

Later that afternoon, Stewart called me and asked if we were out. We had run some errands, so we were actually close by the church. He asked if we could drop by and pick up some leftovers from the funeral meal that had happened at the church that day. Never being one to pass up free food, I headed to the church. (The pastor's family getting to eat the leftovers from the church is sort of like the priests being allowed to eat the sacrificial meat in the Old Testament. Or at least it is to me. I'm currently reading Leviticus. Can you tell?)

So we roll up to the church, and Stewart comes out with several to-go containers filled with goodness. Except for one container that contained banana pudding. One thing you should know about me is that I HATE BANANAS. I hate all things banana - banana bread, banana smoothies, and most especially, banana pudding. I hate the way they smell. I hate the way they feel when you cut them. I can't hardly stand being around them. I just don't like them. As Stewart is explaining to me what all is in the containers and what I need to do with them, he glances back at Zach in his car seat and exclaims, "His eye looks worse! You need to take him to the doctor!"

For Stewart to actually suggest a trip to the doctor meant that we probably needed to go. That is not the norm for him. He is a doctor, after all. (LOL) So as we pulled out of the church, I called the doctor's office on the way home to put the food away and get ready for the commercial shoot. "Can you be here in 30 minutes?" 30 MINUTES????

"Sure. Why not?"

I raced home, and on the way, the banana pudding spilled in the front seat of my car. Now I was graced with the lovely smell of banana in my car. Great. With limited time, I threw the leftovers in the outside fridge, quickly grabbed a towel to try and clean up the banana yuck, changed Zach's diaper, refilled his sippy cup, and raced to the doctor!

Unbelievably, we made it on time, and when the doctor walked in the exam room, he said, "Oh my gosh!" (Isn't that always comforting when your medical professional says that?) I promised him that Zach had not been in a prize fight. The doctor said, "Just wait! It'll be worse tomorrow. Have you taken a picture yet?" The scrapbooker in me loved our pediatrician all the more. He explained that Zach had cellulitis in his eye, and antibiotics should do the trick. And yes, it was worse the next day.


And that night, we shot a commercial for TV. Thank goodness Zach was in the background of the shot!

That, my friends, is an example of a day in the life of a minister's family.

Comments