Finding the Lovely Again

The air conditioner went out in my car.

I sat in the car rider line for 45 minutes one day.

A friend said something that upset me.

Evan has been having lots of seizures after nap time at school.

Zach had a melt down when I told him to go practice piano.

It came a downpour when I was leaving the salon with a new hairdo and color.

And that was the second week of school. Nothing went horribly wrong (Other than the air conditioner thing. That is pretty horrible when it's 900 degrees here in Louisiana right now.), but a lot of little things piled up to make for a hectic week.

With all of these little things, my attitude slowly disintegrated into anger. The joy was gone. I had lost sight of the lovely things that keep me from being an anxious mess. I had lost sight of Jesus.

So what got me back on track? For one thing, I took Evan to a birthday party Saturday morning, and he had a ball! Birthday parties have always been hard for him, but this one was right up his alley. They had a splash pad in which he could just sit and play. And that's what he did! Seeing him happy makes me so happy!


The second thing was college students. I never know what to expect on the first Bible study of a semester. Will our returning students be back? Will we get any new recruits from all of the outreach we had been doing during the first weeks of school? We had handed out many flyers and magnets, but would they come? Well, God was so good and gave us 7 students at Bible study Sunday night and then around 20 at our Welcome Barbecue Monday! I don't know why, but college kids feed my soul. God has used that ministry to heal my heart so much.


So what redeems you from a bad week? Start noticing the things that feed your soul. What makes you feel better? What points you back to Jesus? And hold on to them for dear life. Incorporate them into your week. Your joy will return. And you will see Jesus everywhere. Trust me, it will change you as it has changed me!

Comments

Post a Comment