Spot

As a child, I took dance - ballet, tap, and jazz. One of the first things a young dancer is taught is how to "spot." When learning how to do turns, one is to find a spot straight in the front of them on the wall, or in the case of the dance studio where I learned, in the mirror. You keep your eyes on that spot as you start to turn the rest of your body toward the back. Your eyes are to stay on that place until finally, your head has to whip around to see that spot again. This is especially important as dancers learn faster turns like pirouettes. The faster you turn, the more likely you are to get dizzy if you don't spot.

I don't know about you, but the past week or so in life has been dizzying. I feel as if I'm spinning out of control as I read social media and see people tearing each other down, posting things that are hateful, and just all out freaking out over the world at the moment. I get it. Things are scary. The world is changing faster than I would like. I find myself wanting to use the hashtag #ComeQuicklyLordJesus on everything I post. Because honestly, that's what I'd really like to happen! It would really be fine with me if the Lord Jesus Christ would just go ahead and come get us today! But I don't know that He's going to do that. Not saying He can't. I just don't know that He is.

One thing I do know for sure - we need to find our "spot." We need to find our constant. We need to find our place to watch while the world spins. The writer of Hebrews told us clearly where that spot is: "Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2) Jesus is our "spot." We are to lock eyes on Him and not look away. No matter where we turn. No matter what happens. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith, as other translations of this verse say. No elected official can be that. No writer, no celebrity, no other human person can be that. Only He can. And notice there what the writer of Hebrews says - He finished the work on the cross and sat down at the right hand of the Father God. Folks, HE IS STILL SITTING THERE! He has not left His throne. Not for one second. He knows what we are facing. He is in total and complete control. 

If we look on to the next verse in Hebrews 12, the writer says, "Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." There will be hardship in the last days. We have been promised that. But as He endured the cross for us, we are to persevere to the end. Why? Because "For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." (1 Corinthians 13:12) Keep your eyes on the "spot." One day, we will see Him face to face and understand it all.

#ComeQuicklyLordJesus

For your comic relief, proof of my dancing props.

Comments