God is So Good

On Sunday, my Bible study class took a field trip. One of our ladies has a son who broke his leg a couple of weeks ago, and he is still in the hospital. It was a bad break and has required multiple surgeries, but he seems to finally be on an upswing. Adrienne, our teacher, decided we should all go pray with that mama who has been going through such a rough time. The only problem with this whole excursion was that it was the exact same hospital where Evan was. While visiting with our friend, I sat in the exact same spot in the waiting room where I sat on the night of March 20 waiting to hear if my son was going to live or die. I tried my best to focus on this person in front of me who was hurting and not on myself. We all prayed for her and hugged her, but as I stepped on the elevator, I was shaking. Adrienne said, "I owe you an iced coffee for making you come here today." I replied, "But he's going to be 4 on Tuesday."

And today, here he is. Evan is 4!



The day we found out my blood test was positive for Down's Syndrome was a Tuesday. The next day was Wednesday. I was not in a good place. I was an emotional wreck, unable to move far from the couch and my blanket. We had told few people at this point that anything was wrong with the baby, and going to Wednesday night church was not happening. Not. Happening. I sent Zach off with someone else, and I stayed in my spot on the couch.

That night, I was watching "Wheel of Fortune," of all things. It came on after the news, and I guess I didn't even have the physical or emotional strength to even change the channel at that point. The show was just beginning, and the contestants were introducing themselves. I was barely listening - barley able to have a cohesive thought. But I heard a male contestant say, "And I have a son named Evan."

"Evan? I like that name! I've always liked that name!" I thought. I grabbed my phone which was on the table beside me. I pulled up the baby name site that was on my web browser. Stewart and I had still not settled on a name for the baby, so the baby name databases had become a frequent destinations for us in the weeks before we found out our baby boy had Down's. I typed "Evan" in the search bar, and this is what came up:

The meaning of the name Evan is God Is Good.

When Stewart got home that night, I was a different person. I looked at him and said, "The baby's name is going to be Evan. And here's why." I showed him my phone. He agreed.

And every day since then, we have seen God's goodness displayed in Evan's life. Even in the bad, God has been good. This weekend we're going to celebrate Evan's birthday with a small party. But even more than that, we're going to celebrate God's goodness to us for saving his life. Happy 4th birthday, Evan! You remind us every day that GOD IS SO GOOD!

Comments