Honor and Comfort


Yesterday I was privileged to speak at LSUA's Baptist Collegiate Ministry. Here was my devotional for them:

It seems as if the world has gone crazy lately. I don't know about you, but I hate to get up in the morning and open up my news feed. Sometimes it's just too much - hurricanes, floods, senseless fighting, death. It's as if our minds can't process one major event before we are dealing with another one.

I heard a story this week that really surprised me. A lot of times when one of these major news events happen, we turn to the news media to get our information and make sense of what is going on. The anchors always seem to have it together and know exactly what to say in every situation. It leaves me wondering how in the world they keep their cool in those times. Lester Holt, who is the anchor for NBC Nighty News, wrote an article that came out this week saying that he has a hard time making sense of world events. He has to go to where the news is happening and talk to the people who have been devastated by these events and lost everything. He said he has had to seek counseling because it just doesn't seem fair. He can't wrap his brain around what he has seen and heard and had to report on. Even though he claims to be a believer, he struggles with telling the hard stories.

Maybe you've got a hard story right now. Maybe you have lost your hope. Can I tell you I've been there? I have been to the point of looking up to God and saying, "I see no way out of this." Everything around you seems to be dark. There is no light. It's all bad. There seems to be no good.

I am here to tell you today that there is hope. There is a way out. There is a good God who made you, who loves you, and knows exactly where you are. And He has a plan for your life.

Psalm 71:19-21 says, “Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens, you who have done great things. Who is like you, God? Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. You will increase my honor and comfort me once more.”


No mater what you have been through or what you are going through, God is in the restoration business.  That's why He sent His only Son Jesus to die for your sins and mine. He wants a relationship with you so badly that He is willing to go to the depths of the earth to pull you out of whatever mess you are in. As the last verse says, He even wants to honor you and comfort you. The book of II Corinthians in the New Testament says that God is a God of comfort. He is waiting with open arms for you to come to Him with whatever needs you have. He is big enough to handle it. As this passage says, there is no God like Him! You can't get that comfort anywhere else.

The Lord wants to redeem whatever it is you are going through right now. He wants to restore you. He wants to comfort you. It may be that you need to ask for help. If you are going through something difficult, one of the great lies the enemy will try to tell you is that you are alone. No one gets you. No one would understand you. That is a lie. God made you. God gets you. You are His. Go to Him with your deepest burden, and He will answer your deepest need. Read His word. Get involved in Bible study. Restoration will come. Your honor will return. And over and over again, God will comfort you. Trust Him to do that today.‬‬

In one of the darkest times of my life, the Lord lead me to a passage out of The Message Bible that has stayed with me for years.

“I’ll never forget the trouble, the utter lostness, the taste of ashes, the poison I’ve swallowed. I remember it all—oh, how well I remember— the feeling of hitting the bottom. But there’s one other thing I remember, and remembering, I keep a grip on hope:

GOD ’s loyal love couldn’t have run out, his merciful love couldn’t have dried up. They’re created new every morning. How great your faithfulness! I’m sticking with GOD (I say it over and over). He’s all I’ve got left.”
‭‭Lamentations‬ ‭3:19-24‬ ‭MSG‬‬

When God's all you've got left, He is all you need. He is faithful. And He is ready to comfort you.

Comments