The Rain Will Come

It's raining here in Pineville today. Finally. It seems we have been in this never ending summer where it's been hotter than the surface of the sun, and there hasn't been a drop of rain in sight. At last, there is a tropical storm nearby, and we are getting the rain we desperately need.

Last week, Stewart, Evan, and I had traveled to Houston for Evan's check up. Just north of Houston, we ran into a severe thunderstorm. Instead of freaking out as I usually would, I looked at Stewart and said, "I sort of forgot what one of these looked like!"

So when the clouds got dark here this afternoon, I just stared out the window and watched the storm roll in. It was a healing balm for me. Today has not been the best of days. This morning, it all just piled up and I burst into a puddle of tears. I really don't know why. None of it was that bad. It was just too much.

When the rain came today, it seemed as if my creative wheels started turning. I did sit and watch the rain for a long time. I watched little birds eating out of a bird feeder Zach had made in Royal Ambassadors last week at church. Then I turned on my worship music, and I began to rewrite my Bible study for a speaking engagement next week. I also worked on a Power Point for it. And then, I just sat again.

Suddenly, it seemed as if the clock had fast-forwarded to the time Evan gets home from school. I donned my polka dot rain boots and went out to the garage to wait for him. The rain had mostly stopped, but inside our garage, it was very humid. "One of those tropical rains," I thought. I was wanting more of a cooling rain. But when I walked to the end of my driveway to receive Evan, I noticed it was cooler! I almost felt a tinge of fall. Almost. I was so thankful for the rain!

Watching the rain helped me know that everything was going to be okay. Someone had commented on Facebook this morning that even when we have a hotter than normal summer, some tropical system comes and we get the rain we need. There is a cycle. It never fails. It reminded me that we have a God who never fails. His promises are always proven true. If He promised it, it will come to pass.

The rain will come.
His timing is always best.
His will is way better than my will.
He will provide.
If He calls you to speak, He will give you the words.

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" (Matthew 6:33)

Let it rain, Lord. And let the rain remind us that You've got this all in Your hands - hands that are big enough to hold us and the whole rest of the world.


Comments