Jesus is Essential

I’ve learned one important thing over this time of “stay at home” – I am very susceptible to Facebook ads for Christian t-shirts. There. I admitted it. I know what you’re thinking, “Why?” I’m not really sure. I guess I have been looking for something to wear that would encourage myself but also encourage those who saw me wear it. But I haven’t been leaving my house much, so buying those kinds of shirts was really pointless. I often would see one company having a sale, and then pretend like I was going to buy the shirt, and then delete it from my cart before I actually paid for it. Yes, I do have a problem. Here are some of my favorites:



“Faith over Fear” – That’s a good one. And that’s what we all need to have right now is faith instead of fearing the future. 



The lyrics to Waymaker – My friend Lisa had one of these on the other day, and I must say, I was a little jealous that she had one and I didn’t. (Again, I have a problem.) I do believe this song will be the anthem of this pandemic for those of us in Christ. The words hit the nail on the head – “Even when I don’t see it, You’re working.”



“I’ve lost my mind and I’m pretty sure the kids took it” – Well, this is not a Christian shirt. But it’s no less true.

But when I saw this one, I said out loud, “YES!”



Jesus is essential. Yes He is! I have no idea how anyone is getting through this crisis without Jesus. I just don’t. Without His hope, without His peace, without His comfort, without the hope of heaven, without His joy, I would be totally lost. Without His Word, I would have no guidebook for living when times are uncertain. Without His church, His body of believers, I would have no one to support me and uplift me when I get down. Jesus is essential.

Isaiah 33:6 says, “He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure.” Some translations say that He will be the security or the stability of your days. There is nothing else that is secure and stable but Jesus. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). He does not change like the shifting sands.

With this security, He sends salvation, wisdom, and knowledge in abundance. First, we need salvation through the blood of Jesus to save us from our sins and secure eternal life for us. Second, we surely need wisdom at all times, but especially in these days when mixed messages are so prevalent. All we have to do is ask for it, and He gives it freely, as James 1:5 says. Finally, He gives knowledge. He sends His Spirit to help us understand His Word but also to share His Word with others. 

The last line of that verse says, “The fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure.” How do we fear the Lord? Stewart used this acrostic years ago – 

F – fear. We do need to have a healthy fear of God and what He can do. All we need to do is read the Old Testament and see that.
E – Expectation. Over and over in Scripture we are told to “Wait on the Lord.” Waiting means we are expecting Him to do something great. We’re expecting Him to act. We expect Him to show up. And He always does.
A – Awe. Yes, our God is indeed awe-inspiring. All you have to do is notice all He has made, and you will be filled with awe!
R- Reverence. We honor Him as holy because that is who is He. He is worth of our praise and adoration!

As we continue to walk this rocky road of unsettled days, only one thing is needed: Jesus. Jesus is essential. He alone is the security and stability of our days. Now that’s one t-shirt we all need to buy!

Comments