An Unprecedented Year

I received this meme the other day, and I think I want to buy this coffee mug.



 

Yes, I definitely miss precedented times. I am tired of hearing the phrase, “We are living in unprecedented days.” But as school is just a few days away from starting, this is especially true for those of us who have school aged children or are employed in any institution of education. 

 

When the pandemic began in March, we looked forward to August so our children could go back to school and life would maybe return to normal. School usually signals the return of routines after a summer of sleeping late, adventures, and no learning. Going to back to school brings us back to the comfort of schedules and fun fall activities.

 

While school is going to start in just a few days, the excitement that normally comes with it is just not there. Some kids are not going back to school and will be homeschooled – maybe for the first time in their lives. Some will be doing virtual learning. Some will be going back under very strict rules to keep them safe. Worst of all, there will be no fall sports. No band. No choir for those who will be back in a traditional school setting. 

 

And our teachers and administrators? They are pretty stressed out. They are having to learn how to juggle hybrid learning, sanitizing their classrooms and hallways, masks, online platforms, and new guidance that seems to come out daily. Also, I noticed at Super Walmart over the weekend that the school supply section of the store was fully stocked and not ransacked like it is at this point of the summer. There is nothing precedented about the start of this school year.

 

As a non-teacher, I have struggled to find a way to help my numerous teacher friends. I have wanted to do something for them as they began this unprecedented year, but all of my ideas just seemed to not be enough. But the Lord brought a scripture to mind through a song. And here is my promise to all of you teachers, administrators, and students: I will be praying this over you as this year begins. Maybe you can pray this prayer, too:

 

““May the Lord bless you and protect you; may the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; may the Lord look with favor on you and give you peace.”’”

Numbers 6:24-26 CSB

 

I can do nothing else but pray His blessing, protection, grace, favor, and peace over you. I will pray it for my own children. I will pray it for those of you who are beginning the year with great fear and trepidation. And I will pray it over those who are making hard decisions every single day. You are loved. God is with you and He is for you. Hold tightly to Him and His promises. And who knows? This may be the best year yet! This may just be a set up for a huge miracle! I pray that is so. I pray that one day we can look back and say with joy, “God did something unprecedented in my life this year!” We await it, Lord. May Your blessing be over this school year, God!

 

Comments