From Wearing Black to Painting the Town Red

Valentine's Day is upon us again. For some, those words just make you go "Ugh." Don't worry. I was doing the same thing at one point in my life.

In elementary school, Valentine's Day was fun. It was always a party day with white paper lunch sacks filled with little cards saying, "Valentine, you're the greatest!" or "Valentine, let's be friends." By high school, the game had stepped up quite a bit. It seemed as if everyone had someone on Valentine's Day - except me. There would be an endless parade of girls heading to the office to receive some fabulous bouquet of flowers from a boy. That girl would then proudly stroll back through the entire school to make sure everyone saw what her love had sent her. But I was never that girl.

By the time I reached college, I was bitter. In fact, I was so bitter that I began saying the old adage of, "Valentine's Day is just a made-up holiday thought up by the greeting card companies so they can make money." I got so bitter that one year I even wore black. All black. I was so over the whole idea of love, hearts, candy, flowers, and romance. If I couldn't have all of that, I was just going to make everyone else miserable.

Then one year it all changed. Just a couple of weeks prior to the most dreaded day of the year, I had gone out on a date with a boy named Stewart that the Lord had told me I would marry. (That is another blog post for another day!) Nothing was "official" yet, but I knew something had changed in our little friendship that had begun about a year before. He had told me a week or so before Valentine's Day that he would not be able to go out that night because he had family coming in from out of town. He asked if it would be okay if we went out a couple of days before. Of course, I agreed. On that date, two days before Valentine's Day, we became "official." And the next day, the day before Valentine's Day, he surprised me and kissed me for the very first time. (He'll tell you I kissed first. He would be wrong. I am a lady!)

Every Valentine's Day since has been one surprise after another! There have been beautiful bouquets, yes, but there have also been surprise dates where we painted the town red and other fabulous gifts. I am so thankful that Valentine's Day changed for me all those years ago. And I am thankful that every Valentine's Day since my love for that man has only grown. I can't wait to see how we will paint the town red this year! Happy Valentine's Day, Stewart!

Comments

  1. Hey there! We have met a few times, and my mama shared your blog with me! I really enjoy it! I blog, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment