Mom

In the early morning of February 1, 2010, my mom left this earthly home of 62 years and went to eternal home with her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I stood at her bedside holding her hand, reassuring her that we were okay if she went home, just as she and I had done 15 years earlier at the bedside of her own mother. This came after nearly 2 months of us waiting in 2 different intensive care waiting rooms for what we knew was coming. Her health had declined dramatically in the months prior to her going into the hospital. Even though this was expected, you are never prepared to lose someone you love.

My mother's death hit me harder than I ever expected. Harder than I've let on, if we're being honest. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about her. In fact, in the past month, I have been reminded of the events surrounding her death even more because of the TimeHop app. Every day that app has pulled up my Facebook statuses from 5 years ago, and I have relived those very difficult days. It has been raw to me again.

This morning, February 1, 2015, I substitued in my Sunday school class. The topic? When long-term illness hits your family. (Really, Lord?) Then I sung the song that I chose to sing the first Mother's Day after she died - "There is a Savior." And that is precisely how I have survived the past 5 years - there is a Savior. There is hope. There is life beyond this broken world. There is salvation from sin. And because of that, I can rejoice on a day when I might have just stayed home in bed. As my Sunday school lesson reminded me, the grace of my Lord is sufficient for every single day. His power is made perfect in my weakness. For when I am weak, He is strong. (2 Corinthians 12:8-10) I am so grateful that there is a Savior!

Comments