Motherhood Ain't for Sissies

Most days I feel like a failure as a mom.

There. I said it.

When my 6-year-old has a total meltdown going into church and a whole group of people see it, I'm pretty sure they are rescinding my "Mother of the Year" nomination. When my almost 2-year-old still isn't drinking or talking or walking or building the Empire State Building with Legos yet, I feel guilty for all the things I should be doing to try to catch him up (even though I know Down's is what's slowing him down and not my lack of teaching). And social media doesn't help. Every day I log onto Pintrest to see "10 Things Every Boy Mom Should Be Doing Right Now at This Moment to Make Sure They Turn Out to be a Godly Husband, Father, and Useful Citizen," and I realize I probably haven't done any of those things. Ever. Nor will I ever get around to doing them because I'm just trying to survive this one day. Then Facebook will show me some other "super mom" has gotten all crafty with their kids on a rainy day. And I feel bad because I let my kids watch a movie or let my big boy play on his Kindle.

"Motherhood ain't for sissies," as the saying goes. It requires stuff that we're not automatically wired to do. Stuff like patience. And self-control. And joy. And gentleness. That sounds like something the Bible tells us we should have: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law" (‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭22-23‬). All of these fruit are required for daily living but also for motherhood. In what better way is there to display these fruit than modeling them for our children? Is it easy? No way. It takes daily submission to Christ and asking Him to fill you with these things. It takes us saying, "There is no way I can survive this day on my own. I need Your help, God." It takes us apologizing when we have a meltdown. It takes us admitting that we're not perfect and relying on One who is. It takes work. But it's worth it when you see the Lord at work in your child's life. When he asks a question that leads you to a spiritual conversation. Or when your little one does something that he's never done before. The hugs. The giggles. That's the stuff that makes motherhood worth it. Happy Mother's Day to all you great moms out there!


(Here's one of my mom and me. I miss her every day but especially on Mother's Day.)

Comments