#sabbaticchronicles2016: Goodbye, Colorado

We're about to leave Colorado, and I'm pouting like a 7-year-old about it. (I know from whence I speak. I happen to have a 7-year-old.) I fully expect tears to fall as we go down the dusty driveway of our cabin and as the mountains fade from our view as we head back south. I am not ready to leave at all.

I have been to Colorado several times in my 40 years of life. It was a frequent destination for family vacations when I was growing up. However, our time was always very limited, and we were working off an agenda set by my mother, which meant we were in a different hotel room every single night. So there was not a lot of time to enjoy much. 

Maybe I didn't appreciate Colorado as much as I should back then. Now my heart is totally head-over-heels in love with this place. Why? Because I have seen God in every single moment. Every curve of the road brought new, spectacular views that cannot even be done justice by a picture on a cell phone - mountains, valleys, streams, waterfalls. Every sunset praised Him in pinks, oranges, grays, and blues. Every rain storm brought a cooling wind that satisfied our souls. The river's rushing waters told us again how powerful He is and how limitless He is. Every rock, every piece of driftwood, every wildflower reminded us of His creativity. Every wild animal sighting excited us. And it was all Him. He has made every last bit of it.



Sunday night we had family church, and Stewart read Psalm 8:

“Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory in the heavens. Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger. When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor.” (Psalm‬ ‭8:1-5‬ ‭NIV)‬‬

What are we, Lord? What are we that you would make all of this just for us? All 3 of us (Evan was asleep by then) praised God for all we had seen and done over the past two weeks. We are leaving here with a sense of awe and wonder that I hope doesn't leave us any time soon.

I started reading a book last week called Looking for Lovely: Collecting the Moments that Matter by Annie F. Downs. (I have read 3 books since we have been here. Yay me!) It was the perfect read to finish up this trip, as Annie talked about finding beauty in the simplest of moments and using those moments to help you when life gets hard. This book has resonated with me on other levels besides Colorado, but I am praying these "lovely" times will not leave me as fast as other vacations have left me. God has totally wowed us here, and I prayed last night that we would take that home and use it to tell others of His greatness.

So goodbye, Colorado. You were lovely.

But #sabbaticchronicles2016 isn't over yet. And I hope #stewartonastick has many more adventures before August gets here! 

Comments