#sabbaticchronicles2016: Joy in Rest

Week two at the cabin has been another wonderful week! I'm sure you have seen all of our comings and goings on Facebook or other social media, so I won't bore you with the details. (If you haven't, search #sabbaticchronicles2016 and you can see the pictures.) I wanted to write a little bit about rest.

I mentioned previously that we have no cell reception at the cabin. We also have no television. In fact, we can't even watch movies on the TV. The DVD player is not working with our movies. So we are totally disconnected from the world until we go into town and our cell phones work.

Since there is no other technology here (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing), we have been listening to a wonderful Christian radio station out of Colorado Springs. Unlike our stations at home, I don't think this station has played the same song twice. They play everything from Keith Green from the 80s to Chris Tomlin of today. It has been so nice to just have a sense of worship the whole time we have been here. And it's not hard to worship with the view we have!


The two bigger boys left yesterday morning to go on a raft trip, so Evan and I were home alone. I sat down on the chaise lounge by the picture windows to study my Bible and have some prayer time. In my devotion, I read Matthew 11:28-30 out of the Amplified Bible:

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good–not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.”
‭‭
Rest - relief, ease, refreshment, recreation, and blessed quiet. We have certainly had all of those things here. Some asked before we left if Stewart really could "let it all go and rest." Well, I can assure you he has! And so have I to an extent. One of my goals for this time was to find my joy again. And it is returning to me slowly. I saw it again the other evening while Zach was playing on the playground at the drive-in movie. I so enjoyed watching him. It peeks around the corner when Evan yells as loud as he can at the river. Yesterday morning when an old, favorite song came on, and I turned to the windows and starting singing to the mountains and the river as loud as I could. Every sunset has been a reminder of God's mercies that will be new again the next morning.



In this recreation and blessed quiet, we are finding Jesus all over again. Do we miss our church? Absolutely. But this time has been granted to us so we can lay our burdens down and "learn of Him" once again.

Thank you for your continued prayers and love. Keep those #stewartonastick pictures coming!

Comments