#sabbacticchronicles2016: Still on the Job

Until Stewart and I got married, no one knew he talked in his sleep. I was fortunate to make this discovery just weeks into our marriage when he yelled out in the middle of the night, "DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY?" Needless to say, it scared me half to death! And it unnerved me. I am newly married to a pastor, and come to find out, he preaches in his sleep!

Over the years, there have been many more incidents of him talking in his sleep. Most of the time, it's a totally irrational nightmare. One time, he said, "How much is that going to cost us?" I a;John ssumed that was about church, and he said the next morning that it was.

Stewart claims he only talks in his sleep when he's really tired. Well, right now, we are on week 4 of our sabbatical, so he shouldn't be tired, right?

While staying with my parents, Tuesday morning I was awakened by Stewart shuttering in his sleep and mumbling. This escalated until he yelled, "Jesus Christ!" I was totally awake after that exclamation! I asked him what he had been dreaming, and he said that he dreamed our church was helping revilitize a struggling church. Our people were at the church working, and a man walked in and started telling everyone that evangelism was history. When Stewart heard this, in his dream he began to argue with the man rather heatedly (which is not something he would ever do) and say that evangelism was the mission of the church of Jesus Christ. Thus, he yelled "Jesus Christ" in his sleep.

So lest you think the church isn't still on our minds during sabbatical, it is. Stewart is using this time to reenvision how to reach our area for Christ. He is writing and trying to get his first book to the publisher. And while he is okay with not preaching right now, preaching the message of salvation is a fire in his bones (Jeremiah 20:9). He will be ready to preach once August 14 comes! Until he does come back, #StewartonaStick will be on the job!



Comments