2016: One for the Books

For the past week or so, I've seen countless posts of people who are ready for 2016 to end. The election was long and rough (depending on what side you're on). Too many legendary people have died, most recently Carrie Fisher. A lot of really bad events happened - floods here in Louisiana, shootings, the wildfires in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, and other natural disasters. It was a hard year. I hated to open my news feed most mornings.

Yet in this family, we have a lot for which to be thankful. In fact, I realized the other day that this year could best be summed up in five books. And here they are:


If you can't really see it (and you probably can't because my photography skills aren't that great), there are two photo books of our travels this summer. In the top left is the book Stewart made celebrating my 40th birthday in March. The top right is his 40th birthday book that I gave him in September. And on the bottom left, our most important book of the year, The Privilege of Worship. Running my fingers back through these pages today while sitting in front of the Christmas tree brought tears to my eyes once again. I remember the surprise and the laughter of that rainy night in March when we celebrated my birthday. Stewart's birthday was a lot of fun - Mexican food and bowling with friends. And #sabbaticchronciles2016. What can I say? I would pack up the car right this minute and head to Colorado! The Privilege of Worship is just a big "Wow, God!" thing. I am just tremendously proud of Stewart for finishing the work and for all the positive feedback we have received so far. (He will be doing more publicity for the book in the coming year.)

Yes, these books are all proof of a great year. Has it all been good? Absolutely not. I came face to face with some things in my personal life that were not so great, and I am still dealing with those. Evan is still struggling with seizures, and we are literally down to our last medicine that he can take. We have no idea what the next step is if this medicine doesn't work. There have been things at the church that have been hard. We have lost people we loved. Not every day in ministry is sunshine and roses. Not every day in this family has been stellar. Not everything has been good. But God is.

Just this morning as I was trying to study my Bible (I say "trying" because I had two wiggly boys right beside me in the bed.), the Lord pointed me to a verse that will be my "watch word" for this year. I opened my Bible app, and this was the verse of the day (in the Amplified Version):






Fear not.

That is our word for this next year.

FEAR. NOT.

No matter how much the world may tell us there is no hope, there is nothing to fear for He is with us. We need not look around. He is our God. He will strengthen us for the hard times. Have you asked Him to help? He has already said yes. Twice. If we do this, we will be victorious because He alone is right and just.

Did you take that in?

Fear not.

If we do this, next year will be another one for the books. 

Comments