Total Eclipse of the Heart (And the Sun)

It seems as if everyone has been obsessed with the total solar eclipse that the US was getting today. It's been all over the news. Social media has been running rampant with it - whether or not we should even watch it, what kind of glasses do we need, should schools be in session that day or not. It's been a to-do. It's been a large topic of discussion in our house, too.

As many of you know, Zach is all about the solar system right now. So when he heard there would be a total solar eclipse this year, of course he was on board. We had a countdown calendar on the fridge.


I bought him a book about the eclipse and the approved eclipse glasses.



Aunt Jan has been sending us all kinds of cool info and maps. It was a big deal to him. He was so excited when he learned last week that his teacher was going to let them watch the eclipse at school. A day later, the school district said they could not view the eclipse. He was so disappointed, but we decided that he could not miss out on this opportunity to see science in action! So I checked him out of school and brought him home just in time to see the peek here in Pineville!



Even with all the hype, the eclipse really did not let us down. It was an amazing sight to see through the glasses! We turned on the TV in time to see totality happen in Charleston, South Carolina. When it happened, there was also a lightening storm near where they were filming. It was just beautiful to watch - even on TV! Zach jumped up and down at seeing that! I marveled at our God, who allowed us all a moment to bask in His magnificent handiwork. Just this morning, I read Psalm 97. Verse 6 says, "The heavens proclaim his righteousness, and all peoples see his glory.”‭ We certainly saw His glory today!‬‬

Today was special for another reason. On this day, Evan went to elementary school. My precious baby started Pre-K. I had been saying for months that I was ready for this day to come, but I had no idea how excited Evan would be for this day! This made my mama heart so happy!



He had an amazing day full of all new things -



The sensory room,



Adaptive PE,



And his teacher said he ate a HUGE lunch of spaghetti and applesauce! He was one tired boy when I picked him up! He had a wonderful day!



This I know - God perfectly orchestrated this day for him. We literally walked through the valley of the shadow of death in March. For over a month, we weren't even sure if Evan could handle any kind of school this year. If my friend (and now Evan's principal) Laurie hadn't heard all of my concerns as I was unloading one day in Sunday school, this day would not have happened. As she explained to me about Mrs. Knapp's class for children with significant disabilities, I knew that was exactly where he needed to be. Every meeting I had confirmed this more and more. God was laying this amazing opportunity in front of us, and today it came into being.

One thing that we ask of you, our faithful community, is that you pray for Evan. Yes, pray he will progress and do well in school. But the most important prayer you can pray for him right now is that he will stay healthy! At this moment, I give praise to God because his seizures are under control! He has not had one in over a month. However, if he gets any kind of illness, they will come back. Please pray that all diseases will stay away from him!

As I was finishing up my study of Romans this summer, I came across this verse. "Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, through our Lord Jesus Christ and through the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in fervent prayers to God on my behalf." (Romans 15:30, CSB) I am asking you to strive together with us in prayer for him. We know your prayers have made such a difference in the past. We know they will continue to do so in the future.

This day has been a total eclipse in a lot of ways, but in each way, I have seen the glory and the majesty of our God! He is so good. So kind. So loving. And He knows what we need even before we ask. Thank You, God, for this day that You made!

Comments