A Very Veggie Halloween

The process of figuring out Halloween costumes for our boys usually goes like this: What is free or already on hand? Then that's what they'll be. The one and only time (before this year) that I have purchased a costume was last year when Zach decided to be an Angry Bird, and that costume was actually bought with Savings Catcher points from all my many Walmart purchases.

But in August, Zach said, "I think Evan and I should be Bob and Larry from Veggie Tales!" I thought that was an amazing idea! Zach loves watching the Veggie Tales videos. (Evan is still not a big TV watcher, but he would love them if he sat still long enough to watch!) Several years ago I gave him my CDs of the songs that I have had since college, and he will often listen to those in his room. So I set out to find a way to make that happen. I searched Pintrest, but I can't sew. So I resorted to searching websites for some sort of half-way cheap option for Bob and Larry costumes. The problem was this: Zach is wearing adult size clothes, but there are no adult sized Veggie Tales costumes. Evan, of course, could wear a kid costume, but that left Zach out. However, I managed to find these hats.



The website said they fit "most adults," so I thought we'd be in good shape for Zach. The problem would be keeping the hat on Evan, who usually throws all hats to the ground if they are not affixed to his head somehow. We fixed that by having Mimi sew an elastic strap so it would maybe stay on. (It didn't.) The hats were both more than I wanted to spend, but I kept thinking, "How many more times will Zach want to dress like his brother?" So I bought them. I got cheap long sleeve t-shirts from Walmart, and presto! We were Veggies!



It was only last night as Stewart and I were reflecting on our magnificent Halloween this year that I remembered something. And it was this:





Yep. That is Stewart and me wearing Larry and Bob t-shirts in 1998. Not on Halloween. Just in New York City. The Veggie Tales movement had just begun, and it was huge on the Louisiana College campus. I had caught the fever, and I embarrassed my poor boyfriend by making him wearing this t-shirt. He still married me, so it turned out for the best. After remembering this picture, I could not believe that all these many years later, our precious boys were dressed up as the same thing. Amazing. I love how God works!





Comments