When You Find Out You've Turned Into Your Mother

We've all heard the cliches:

One day, you open your mouth, and your mother comes out.

One day, you look in the mirror and your mother's face is staring back at you.

I heard on a TV show today, "It's a cliche because it's true."

And maybe it is for you. But I never expected it to happen to me. I'm adopted. There is no DNA connection between my mother and me. So I have assumed all my life that I would never do anything my mother did.

Then one day something I do on a regular basis made me wake up to the fact that I had indeed turned into my mom. And I nearly passed out at the thought.

My mom found out she had diabetes when I was in junior high. As with all diabetics, hydration is important. She always carried around a glass of something - water, tea (unsweet, of course), or Diet Coke. Finally, when I was in high school, extremely large drinks became a thing. Thermos makers caught on quickly and made nice plastic mega mugs with handles for cold drinks that could be used over and over again. I remember somehow my mom and I both ended up with one. I had a hot pink one that she had paint penned my name on in beautiful script. Hers was blue. I would use mine for danceline practice when it was really hot or for away football games. Mom's became her constant companion. When she began working as a nurse, she carried it with her every single day to work. Thus, it became affectionately known as "Blue." When she passed away, she wanted it buried with her. (I know it's weird. But that's what she had written in her wishes.)

Several years ago, our beloved seminary, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, sent Stewart a Yeti with the school's logo on it. If you have a Yeti, then you know how wonderful they are. Your ice stays cold for what seems like days. I had several Tervis tumblers, but I immediately stole this Yeti because it worked better. And it was from our seminary! I am on medication that dries me out and makes me thirsty, so if I'm leaving the house for any amount of time, I bring water with me.

Well, one fateful day, my Yeti was sitting on the kitchen table as I was rushing out the door to Bible study. Zach astutely noticed and said, "Mom, do you need your drink?"

"No, bud," I replied. "I'm good."

And then it hit me. I AM MY MOTHER! I have carried a cup of water around for so long that my children have noticed! Lord, help me. The whole nature vs. nurture debate has reared its ugly head, and in my life, nurture has won. Despite my best attempts, I have turned into my mother. I just hope my children don't bury me with my Yeti!

Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms and to those of you who are like moms to those around you! You make a huge difference - whether there is DNA connecting you to those influence or not!



Comments