Hard Love

I have always had a love/hate relationship with Romans 8:28.

 

First, I never liked how people misuse this verse. Many people say, “All things work together for good” and leave out that very important prepositional phrase “for those who love God and are called according to His purpose.” They want things to always work together for good for the plans they have made for themselves. Some leave God totally out of the equation and just use this verse as a clever cliché. And when it doesn’t work out the way they want? They get angry with God and claim His Word isn’t true. Their definition of “good” and God’s are two different things.

 

Second, in the midst of a hard situation, I have often disliked this verse because I couldn’t see the “good.” When things are bad, it’s hard to find good. There are so many circumstances in life that are just hard to understand. I’ve been guilty of saying, “I love you, Lord. I know You have called me according to your purpose. How can any of this be good?” Again, God’s version of “good” is nothing like ours. He sees the whole picture. He knows the end goal. We can only see what’s right in front of us. Time after time, God has brought so much good even when things looked like there was no way He could!

 

Third, while I believe this truth for my own life after years of seeing God’s good come to pass for me, I don’t want it to work for anyone else. Is that true of you, too? That person who maybe wronged you in some way – you really don’t want God to do something awesome for them. You want them to be eternally punished. However, if they are in Christ, that promise applies to them, too. God is still working for their good – possibly to draw them back to Himself. We have no idea what He could be up to for them. You are not in charge of how God works for the good of others. God’s ways are higher than our ways, and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. 

 

A commentator helped me see what this verse does NOT mean:

 

1.     Not all that happens to us is good.

2.     Not every experience has a good side to it.

3.     We may not see the good in our lifetime.

4.     Not all things work out the way we want.

 

What is does mean is this:

1.     We are dealing with a good God.

2.     We are dealing with ultimate good rather than immediate good.

3.     And as we have mentioned, “good” is what is good from God’s perspective.[1]

 

There is a song that came out several years ago that’s called “Hard Love[2].” I liked the song, but I had to really think about what “hard love” means in terms of Jesus and His love for us. I think one of the lyrics probably explains it best: “You can’t change without a fall out.” I know in my own experience, it takes a major fall out in order for me to make big changes in my life. And it hurts. And it’s hard. There are many tears and sleepless nights. And it takes hard work to get to the place God is trying to get me to. But what comes out of all of that is good. God’s kind of good. The good that draws me and you closer to Him. The good that allows you to testify to others that yes, all things do work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose! 





[1] Carol Westerlund, “Work for Good,” accessed at https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/westerlund_carl/Rom/Rom087_Ch8vs28.cfm?a=1054028 on 8/10/20.

[2] NEEDTOBREATHE, “Hard Love,” https://youtu.be/0VcMTnaI4Ic.

Comments