The Word for 2020: Pray Bigger Prayers

It started as the faintest whisper in my soul several months ago.

Why can’t you pray for that big thing you want to happen in your ministry?

Why can’t you pray to be totally delivered from that problem instead of using it as your crutch?

Why can’t you pray more fervently for Evan to be healed?

The whisper shocked me. Why indeed, Lord? I pray all the time. Why haven’t I prayed for these things and many more that are desires in my heart? And haven’t I actually prayed for these things?

The answer that has come back to me in the waning days of 2019 is, “You pray too small.”

I have journaled my prayers for years, but some days, they become rote and stale.

“Give Stewart a word for Sunday.”
“Forgive my sins.”
“Heal Evan.”
“Let Zach be a witness in his school.”
“Give me opportunities to speak and lead worship.”

And so on and so forth. But the Lord has shown me that mechanical, mindless prayers are not going to cut it anymore between Him and me. He wants me to pray big. He wants me to pray bold. And He wants me to pray with faith.

You see, somewhere in the midst of this last decade, I stopped believing God could do what He said He could do. I have stopped trusting Him to do big things. There have been so many disappointments and heartaches that have stolen so much from me.

But that stops now. Right now. Here in the beginning of a new decade and a new year, I am going to pray bigger prayers. I am going to believe Him. And I am going to work with all my might to trust Him more. So won’t you join me? There’s no telling what God will be unleashed to do when we pray bigger prayers!

“I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, would give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so that you may know what is the hope of his calling, what is the wealth of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the mighty working of his strength.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭1:17-19‬ ‭CSB‬‬


Comments