The Call

If you are connected with me on social media (and please do if you aren't), you probably noticed that I went to a conference this week. It was an absolute blast! The worship, the preaching, the food, the shopping, the times on the bus - all of it was just more fun than I can tell you here in a few words. It is customary if one goes to a conference that one must glean something from the time in the presence of the Lord. It's not all fun and games, after all.

The biggest thing was that God reminded me of my calling. Everyone expects the pastor to have an exact moment in time where he knows that God is setting that man apart for His service. I had one of those moments, too. It was real. It was life-altering. It changed the path I was on. In all honesty, it GAVE me a path to follow because at the time, I didn't have one.

It was the summer before my junior year of college. I was at home taking some classes at a local university, trying to get ahead but trying to be at home for the summer. I was sitting in my room at home in an old rocking chair, thinking about my college experience thus far. Truthfully, I was not really all that happy. I was majoring in music, but I knew by this time that I didn't want to teach music or pursue that degree any further. The only part I liked about being a music major was choir, and I couldn't do that for the rest of my life except at church. My professors had been less than helpful, and I was beginning the sense that I was the low man on the totem pole as far as talent - even though music was the love of my life at that point. I was flipping through the college catalog hoping something would spark my interest. I was ready to change my major. I was ready to figure out what in the world I was going to do with my life. Something had to change.

As if on cue, the pages opened to the department of religion. (You know, kind of like when you open your Bible to a random page hoping to hear from the Lord.) I read through the requirements for being a religion minor. The longer I read, the more the Lord spoke. After I finished reading, I sensed the Lord saying to me that I was to change my minor to religion (It had been psychology, but that wasn't working out either), and then I was to go to seminary. Why? I was going to be a pastor's wife.

Pastor's wife?

Whoa.

And 14 years later, I can tell you that it is the best job in the world! Especially when you get to ride on a bus for 14 hours and have fun with people like this...




Comments