The Coffee Conspiracy

Dear Keurig,

I have loved you for a long time. In fact, at one point in the past 7 or so years, I could have been your spokesperson. I sang your praises all over. You see, our church purchased a Keurig Office Pro K145 about 7 years ago for our college ministry. I quickly fell in love with it. I loved the fact that you could have multiple flavors of coffee. I adored being able to select whether or not I wanted a small, medium, or large cup. Not having to make a full pot was so wonderful because we could just make what we needed for our college group and not waste anything. It was great. That particular Keurig is still purring like a kitten, even though it gets very little maintenance because it belongs to college students.

After several months of me going on and on about your amazing product, my parents finally bought me the K55 model for Christmas that year. That coffee maker and I had a long relationship until it finally gave up the ghost about 2 years ago. I was sad, but it had served us well for all those years. I immediately went to my local Walmart and bought another one just like it. I debated at the time about upgrading to the 2.0, but I decided to stick with what we knew.

I brought home the new brewer, only to have it work only 2 months and then decide to quit. I was furious. I mean really angry. But thankfully, I still had my receipt, so I marched that puppy back to Walmart and got my money back. This time, I did upgrade to the 2.0, and I was so excited! It had all these new bells and whistles. The ability to make a full carafe of coffee. A brew strength selector. A special button for hot chocolate or tea. A bigger reservoir so you didn't have to refill it as often. And a shiny new electronic screen! I was pumped to make my first cup - only to realize it only took K-cups that were marked with the Keurig stamp. This distressed me greatly since I owned many different brands of K-cups. I wound up looking up the reviews for the 2.0 on Amazon, and after I did, I was sorry I had bought it. So many people complained about this issue and others. But the whole only using K-cups with the Keurig brand name thing was my biggest gripe. I wound up having to give about half of what coffee I had at the time to the college ministry.

After a month or so, I was fully stocked with only K-cups with the Keurig brand - including our beloved Louisiana coffee, Community Coffee. It is a staple around these parts and almost a necessity for my husband and me. Things were going okay until something odd started happening. Every single Sunday morning when I would go to brew my Community Coffee, our brewer would tell me that it was not a K-cup. You must be mistaken, 2.0. It is in fact a Keurig brand pod. It says so right there on the top.



After unplugging the coffee maker and plugging it back in 3 times, I finally convinced it that I was indeed brewing a real K-cup and was able to make my fuel for the day. But this kept happening - not every day of the week. Only on Sundays. Why is it a big deal that this only happens on Sundays? You see, I am a pastor's wife. I have to be at the church most Sunday mornings at zero dark thirty, which is usually between 7:45-8:15. I have to get up very, very early to feed and dress children and myself for this to happen. When the Keurig decides not to work at such an early hour, it causes me to sin. I have angry thoughts. I want to throw things, including the Keurig. My brain is not working enough that early in the morning for me to have to figure out how to make my Keurig happy. I just need it to be happy and do its job. In order for me to be a normal, functioning member of society and be nice to the church people, I must have coffee. It is not optional. 

So if you can explain to me why this only happens on Sunday and how we could fix it, that would be really great.

Sincerely,
A Pastor's Wife Who Needs Her Coffee



4 different Sundays. The same error message. All of them way too early in the morning.

Comments