Wonderful Works

Stewart and I jumped on an airplane Monday morning, and we headed out for our first vacation alone in over a year. We left the kids in the able hands of Gram, and Evan proceeded to get an eye infection the first day. Sigh. He was over it quickly, thank God. 

After landing in Denver, we drove the scenic 4 hour drive to the beautiful mountain cabin that belongs to Bev and Larry Lau. We were amazed again by all that we saw. The leaves are just beginning to change here, and some of the mountains were dotted with yellow and orange patches. 

We arrived at the cabin, and immediately I went into "cabin mode." (I feel like I can say that since this is our third trip here. I mean, I'm an expert, right?!) I pulled up the blinds on the picture windows that overlook the Rio Grande, plopped myself down on the chaise lounge, and I scarcely moved! With no kids, I turned my brain off and read books, planned worship services, journaled thoughts in my notebook, and just spent unending quality time with the Lord.

We took a few driving trips and were awed once again by views that no camera could ever do justice. We saw fiery oranges and yellows in the trees. We saw snowy peaks that were even snowier after we unexpectedly got snow Wednesday night. (Okay, I think the locals knew it was coming, but we didn't. It was a happy surprise to us on Thursday morning!) We watched deer play in the front yard of the cabin. We saw hawks soar and dip in the meadow across the river from us. We marveled at sunsets that you just can't see anywhere else. Driving back to Denver, we kept seeing rainbows - huge, wide, bright rainbows! All of it is a powerful reminder of how big our God is. He is the most amazing Artist. The most creative Creator. The most kind King of the Universe that He would put all of this into place just to thrill us.

My Bible reading for the past couple of days has been in Psalm 111. Verses 3 and 4 have caught my imagination in these moments:

"Everything He does reveals His glory and majesty. His righteousness never fails. He causes us to remember His wonderful works. How gracious and merciful is our Lord!" (NLT)

This morning, all I could do is sit down and write down all the wonders He had performed for us over the past couple of days. Some of them were big like snow, but others were smaller. You see, this trip has not been the "run-all-over-the-countryside-doing-stuff" trip that last summer was. Stewart and I both came here sick (literally) and absolutely worn out. We were past the point of needing a break. We were both about to the point of break down. So this morning I listed all the little things that had been wondrous gifts from God to me this week. Most of them will not thrill you like they have thrilled me. But I am going to be to grateful to God for them anyway!

Snow
Deer playing
Unreal scenery
Amazing time with Stewart
Naps (Yes, Jesus! Sometimes twice a day. I am getting over pneumonia, after all.)
Fall leaves
Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Mountain streams
God's unfailing love
Clouds - stormy ones, foggy ones, snowy ones
Coffee
Peace and quiet
Not having to feed anyone (I miss Evan tons, but this has been a grace to me.)
Fires in the wood stove
God's protection
Sunshine - clear and bright
Christian radio
Gram
God's healing
Diet Coke
A husband who has cooked and washed dishes the whole time we've been here
Southwest Airlines for messing up our flight home from San Diego last summer so we   could fly here for free
Bev and Larry for allowing us to come here again
God's Word
Rainbows
God's amazing grace

I thank You for all of this, Lord. And so much more. Let me never lose this attitude of gratitude!




Comments