Coming Down from the Mountain

I have always been a mountain person. Always. Growing up, my family made far more trips to the mountains than to the beach. If we did go to the beach, it was a cold beach - never anything on the Gulf Coast where you might sweat to the death. If you remember #sabbaticchronicles2016, you remember that Stewart, the boys, and I spent two and half weeks in Colorado at my favorite cabin on the planet. Then Stewart and I went back to the same exact place a year later. And last week, I made my first ever trip to North Carolina to the Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove. I was on the mountain again - this time by myself (Okay, there were about 70 other minister's wives there. But Stewart nor the boys were with me. So I consider that "alone time!).

To say that I met with God at The Cove is an understatement. I felt as if I had been to the very Holy Place. I don't know what it is about mountains, but I have my best times with the Lord while I am there. I have tried to convince Stewart that we need to visit the mountains yearly, and so far, he has gone along with that. I have further tried to convince him that we need to move there, and so far, he hasn't let us do that. However, retiring there is a very great possibility. At least I hope!

The mountains seem to draw me closer to the Lord. I don't know if it's the altitude or the scenery or both. I feel a closeness with Him that I just don't feel here only slightly above sea level. I hear from Him in a new way. I worship with true abandon. Every turn in the road leads me to marvel at the creation He has made just for us. His Word seems to jump off the page when I read it up there. It is a special time that I just cannot replicate anywhere else.

But as with all trips, eventually you have to come home. (Unless you move there, which I am still lobbying for!) I have tried my hardest to stay in the same frame of mind since I have been home, but it's really hard. I had to pick Zach up early from school yesterday because he got a bad headache and was afraid he was getting sick. Today I took Stewart's head off in a text message. My social media feed is stressing me out. At some point, I need to start supper tonight. The laundry continuously calls my name. All of this stuff gets in the way of that "mountain top experience."

Even though spiritual highs are good, we aren't meant to stay on the mountain. Our lives are a constant cycle of hills and valleys. And every single mile of the way is His domain. What we learn on the mountain is meant to affect our lives down here in the valley. What He told us up there, we should be telling others down here. Neither the hills nor the valleys are forever, but the lessons learned in both places should change us for the next step of the journey - even if the next step of the journey is laundry!

So as I resume the normalcy of every day life, I found this psalm that pretty much sums up my feelings of gratitude for this latest trip to the mountain: 

 Thank you! Everything in me says “Thank you!”
    Angels listen as I sing my thanks.
I kneel in worship facing your holy temple
    and say it again: “Thank you!”
Thank you for your love,
    thank you for your faithfulness;
Most holy is your name,
    most holy is your Word.
The moment I called out, you stepped in;
    you made my life large with strength.

When they hear what you have to say, God,
    all earth’s kings will say “Thank you.”
They’ll sing of what you’ve done:
    “How great the glory of God!”
And here’s why: God, high above, sees far below;
    no matter the distance, he knows everything about us.
When I walk into the thick of trouble,
    keep me alive in the angry turmoil.
With one hand
    strike my foes,
With your other hand
    save me.
Finish what you started in me, God.
    Your love is eternal—don’t quit on me now. (Psalm 138, The Message)

Thank you, God, for the mountain! Let this mountain continue to change me!


 

Comments